Business Unit Manager - Food Testing - Toronto, ON
Eurofins-Experchem Laboratories is expanding our services to include a state-of-the-art food testing Microbiology and Chemistry laboratories, our first in Canada.
Eurofins-Experchem Laboratories is searching for a Business Unit Manager to lead the Food Testing division.
Business Unit Manager Profile:
The Business Unit Manager receives sufficient authority from, and is accountable to the Vice President of Operations or appointed designate for the successful completion of assigned duties and responsibilities and has the authority to take action necessary to carry out the duties and responsibilities of this position and to identify the occurrence of departures from the quality system or from the procedures for performing tests and/or calibrations, so long as such action does not deviate from established company guidelines, is consistent with sound technical and business judgment, and follows the practices of the laboratory.
Overall Objectives and Responsibilities:
- The Business Unit Manager’s primary responsibility is to ensure clients expectations are met by providing a high-quality sample analysis delivered in a timeline that exceeds market standards. This position will provide solutions to the technical needs of our clients while achieving or exceeding Sales, Profitability, Quality and Turnaround Time goals.
- Continually strive to improve the quality of work we provide to our clients through method development, verification and modification of new and or existing methods for all Business Units with the Canadian and U.S. Food Division.
- Oversee timely and accurate analysis of samples to meet customer commitments. This includes, but is not limited to, sample preparation for sample analysis, data review and reduction, and providing data interpretations and opinion.
- Oversee daily lab operations including: employee leadership, process control, continues quality improvement, innovation through information technology. Ensure all regulatory procedures pertaining to sample testing are followed correctly.
- Responsible for the supervision, organization, and coordination of all technical activities of personnel within the principles of sound scientific endeavors, business economy, and the professional development of subordinate employees.
- Manage the technical conduct, quality control, and related record keeping of all analytical evaluations performed.
- Provide the necessary planning, organization, direction, and control to meet the goals of the company.
- Understand and follow Quality System documents relevant to responsibilities, e.g., Quality Manual, SOPs, Methods, and Local Policies.
- Adhere to appropriate quality measures, which meet or exceed the standards set by ISO/IEC 17025, government regulatory, and company requirements.
- Follow all company guidelines and procedures relevant to assigned duties.
- Adhere to all pertinent health, safety, and environmental regulations.
- Establish and maintain professional business relationships with clients, industry officials, and peers.
- Assist in the generation of marketing strategies. Create and review literature for marketing new methods and instrument capabilities to clients.
- Responsible for the operational success of the laboratory, which includes, but is not limited to: budgeting, making decisions on capital expenses, attending to major client needs, revenue & profit growth, and cost control.
- Represent the laboratory in technical meetings.
- Participate with the Sales/Marketing team in the preparation and quotation of major technical studies.
- Ensure that the laboratory expenses are on track with the annual budget.
- Approve laboratory expenses and control the costs of the laboratory within established company guidelines.
- Analyze monthly Key Performance Indicators (turnaround time, productivity, etc.).
- Verify that company employment policies and procedures are followed correctly.
- Perform annual performance reviews for direct reporting personnel. Coordinate and review annual reviews of other lab personnel.
- Handle employee relation issues as per company guidelines and with the support of Human Resources.
- Coordinate the interaction between the different laboratory departments.
- Other duties as assigned.
Achieve or exceed Budget Net Sales and Budget EBITA.
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Science or related field and 10+years of applicable and progressively expanded food testing laboratory experience with at least 5 years of supervisory experience;
- Strong business acumen;
- MBA or Business degree considered an asset;
- Strong technical and management background required;
- Experience in laboratory procedures, data analysis, computer operations, mathematics, and technical/business writing;
- Must be able to organize and lead laboratory personnel in a manner that reflects corporate goals and objectives and schedule workflow so as to optimize laboratory productivity and client satisfaction in a cost effective manner;
- Masters degree or PhD in Food Science or related Science would be considered a strong asset.
Must speak and write English fluently;
Bilingualism is a strong asset;
Must possess excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, in order to present responses to clients, prepare reports, and maintain communication with internal and external clients;
Must be articulate;
Excellent organizational skills;
High level of accuracy and strong attention to detail;
Ability to work independently, while supporting a collaborative, team-based department;
Ability to multitask and remain calm under pressure;
High level of professionalism, maturity, good judgment, and discretion when dealing in confidential matters;
Must be proactive, self-disciplined, and able to demonstrate a high level of productivity with a goal-oriented approach.
Exceptional computer skills with a high level of competence with MS Office;
Ability to adapt to new technologies and software.
Working Conditions: Primarily in an office environment. Will be expected to travel as needed to client sites and company locations, both locally and across Canada. Periodic weekend or evening work could occur but would not be a consistent expectation.
Accommodation: Persons with disabilities who need accommodation in the application process, or those needing job postings in an alternative format, may e-mail a request - submit request.
We thank all applicants for showing an interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.